by JULIE on MARCH 20, 2013 · 3 COMMENTS · in PHILLY REPRESENT!
Feel like you want to get out and meet new sustainably minded people?
You’re not alone. During our recent plastic bag reduction happy hour, we met a few new Philadelphians who were interested in finding green events – but had no idea how. But the weather is getting warmer and Philadelphia is kicking up its sustainable activities. How can you get outside and active?
Whether you’re brand spanking new to Philadelphia have accumulated many rosters of Phillies t-shirts, we have 8 ways to meet new locals & green events in Philadelphia:
- Meetup has an event suitable for everyone – from foodie meetups, camera shoots, to professional and informal happy hours. Hikes for Clean Air, Greenies, Permaculture Enthusiasts and many more green events are posted here.
- Facebook events. Your favorite sustainable organizations post their volunteer efforts, runs and many other events on the Zuckerberg creation.
- PSSC & PSN. Instead of sitting on your bum over the weekend and post-work, join a sports league. As my many, MANY teammates can attest, the leagues are more socially focused than athletic. Meet new people both on the court and afterwards at sponsor bar happy hours. I’ve met the majority of my current friends through these kickball, dodgeball, softball & other leagues. Make sure to stay sustainable by walking, taking public transit or carpooling to your field.
- We post many of the sustainable events on our Philly Green Events calendar – check back frequently!
- Green Drinks Philadelphia is a great monthly meetup to network and swap green qualms. Philly currently has events in South Philly, Northern Liberties, Cherry Hill, Chadds Ford & Center City.
- Check out your local neighborhood associations to get involved in the ‘hood.
- Join email listserves for local environmental groups.
- Check coffee shop bulletin boards for green events.
Readers, how have you networked and discovered new sustainable events in Philadelphia?